Friendliness is a universal language.
~~"~~
As Anders told about Sweden, pupils start learning English early there, and this is a must in all the Scandinavian countries. Later most of the pupils go on with German, and at highschool they learn French or Spanish. The more languages we learn, the easier it is. I have learnt all four of them, but those less used are too easily forgotten, so now I speak just English and German.
For several years now, I've been teaching Norwegian to immigrants. Daily I'm surrounded by languages I previously not even knew existed, like TigriƱa and Kirundi. I've experienced over and over again: With a friendly attitude and both parts making efforts, it's possible to communicate, on a simple level, also without having a language in common.

I so agree. Here in the Netherlands we have to learn different languages as almost no one speaks Dutch.
ReplyDeleteI used to teach Dutch to immigrants who just arrived, so they had no way to understand me other than (hopefully) some English or French. But I discovered too ... a smile did wonders :)
That's so right, Riete!
DeleteSeems to be a European thing. Switzerland has 4 basic languages in any case (such a small country), so everything is printed in three languages on the food in the shops (Romantsch not so much as only a minority of the population speak it). We also have our ethnic minorities in Switzerland. I learnt Russian for 12 years and found that I can also understand the ex Jugoslav languages, although I never learnt them. But it is true if you want to help someone, it does not matter what language they speak, you can always build a bridge somehow.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you also speak Russian, Pat. When I hear a new language, I often want to learn it, Russian for sure...but it's a long path. After 12 years, I bet you speak Russian very well though.
DeleteLanguage is really a matter of survival for most immigrants.
ReplyDeleteIn Canada, we have two official languages ... English and French, but in the Canadian province of Quebec, knowing French is especially important. There, English is all but outlawed because our Quebecois are slightly over-the-top about maintaining their French heritage.
Agreed, Kennedy. It's the key to the society.
DeleteTerrific photo. Indeed so true - a kind word can go a long way.
ReplyDeletehttp://aphansen.blogspot.se/2012/10/iaw-clxxxii-language.html
It really can, and we have all experienced it! :-)
DeleteLove the photo, Amalie! Nice of you to share your idea about learning foreign languages. I agree with you... the more foreign languages we learn, easier to add others. Here, in Portugal, nowadays it's totally different from my school time, when French was the 1st compulsory foreign language and English came next. Now, English took the place of French. Even though, at the age of 12, the two foreign languages are compulsory. It's a pity when we forget a language for lack of opportunity to practice it. This happened with the level of my Ialian knowledge but if I happen to be with Italian people, gradually I catch it up...
ReplyDeleteAgreed, Belita, gradually catching up is what happens! It's not really lost, but a bit hidden.
ReplyDeleteLoved your photo. I agree it would be nice to learn a different
ReplyDeletelanguage. I used to speak Norwegian with my friend from Hamar.
We practiced every day. But when you don't continue to speak it you
forget. We visit now and then and I can always understand her or at least
get some idea of w hat she. Is saying.
I need to practice for when I visit there.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteSo nice! If you want to surprise her next time,you can always learn Norwegian by using Norsk pluss online.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful image with heartily sharing words.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDelete