Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Winter art






The Nordic winter can indeed be a harsh one, but it's also so capturing beautiful. Yes, it can be a challenge, and we have to know how to deal with it to survive.  Complaining about the low temperature, about snow and ice, is common, but it doesn't help much. I think, one should rather look for the interesting sides of this climate.
Actually it's all about looking for the wonders of nature and appreciate the differences. 

As human beings we are a part of nature and we can adjust to most circumstances. 
The last weeks we have had - 10 C, and I have even been sleeping with the windows open during the nights. When the morning comes, I look forward to walk to work, in stead of driving. Just to enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful soft morning light. I'm no super sporty woman, just  co-operating with my environment and enjoying it. 


The slideshow below is from a beach, actually a protected area for birds. Perfect for swans, ducks and geese, and sometimes visited by eagles. 








18 comments:

  1. Norway has very similar scenery as in Canada, I also learn to not only adjust to the climate but also to discover the beauties.

    Such a pleasure to see your artistic photos in this serene slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Cananda and Norway have much in common. I don't doubt for a second that you are searching for, and finding much much beauty there! :-)

      Delete
  2. You presented your winters as beautiful art and backed it up with that wonderful slide show. Me, I see the beauty but I'm a summer person and don't do well in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that many people get health problems from the artic climate. I prefer summers too, but I find four very different seasons quite inspiring!

      Delete
  3. Love your winter art! Minus 10 is not too bad, especially if the sun is shining. We have had a ridiculously mild winter and now we see bare earth around the trees. Too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, - 10 C is not bad, but cold enough in my area, close as we are to fjords and ocean.

      Delete
  4. So many beautiful scenes of your winter! I share with you the attitude towards the adversities of the season. I dislike hot days in summer but never complain about the high temperature that I have to bear whenever I'm outside my apartment... Excellent slide-show. Very nice presentation, Amalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, Belita, that life has told us important things: we both know that it's not the weather or the climate that represent the real challenges of life. and we also know that if we are looking for beauty...or interesting things, we will find them.

      Delete
    2. Another thing: I have noticed that you are making your slideshows in flickr where I have had a free account for years. Somehow I can't find out where to create a slideshow there.

      Delete
    3. As I have your email I'll send you detailed information about how to do it. It's simple. Have a great rest of the day...

      Delete
  5. Fabulous photos, Amalie ... such flaky snow ... so different from what we have had in Canada, which seems much more powdery ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kennedy, glad you liked it!
      I think the snow becomes flaky because of high humidity and low temperature.

      Delete
  6. AMALIE, I HAVE JUST NOW SENT YOU AN EMAIL WITH DETAILED INFORMATION ON YOUR REQUEST.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do feel the cold there.
    Nice set of winter shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one can adjust to most environments... it's all about knowing how to deal with it!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful images, Amalie.

    I do miss the beauty of the snow in winter in Denmark, I also miss the mystery and beauty of 4 distinct seasons, I do not miss the cold though. Not so much the cold, but the way they seem to live indoors in small closed rooms, I get so claustrophobic. Not to mention the amount of clothes you have to wear when going outside, jeiks.

    I said in 1982, never ever again, will I visit in winter and I have not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold is a challenge to many many people. So visit Scandinavia during spring and summer..!

      Delete