Sunday, 24 February 2013

Exotic



Have you heard about a town called Røros? I was there last week during the winter fair. I guess all the visitors found found themselves taken into another era: The old mining town is "a place of whispering history".

Some background first, which will explain the images below:

The former mining and farming activities within the town boundaries have created a unique mountain settlement – a wonder created by man, with an exceptional cultural value – which has earned Røros a place on UNESCO's World Heritage List. This is an active and growing community famous for high quality design products, arts and crafts, as well as a renowned local food movement. The most fascinating part is that the modern people of Røros still work and live in the characteristic seventeenth and eighteenth century buildings.


Winters are cold and stable,  with temperatures as low as −40 °C. People living there, know how to deal with it. 
The winter fair Rørosmartnan is a national event with approximately 75.000 visitors each year. During these five days Røros is transformed into a lively marketplace. They are proud of keeping alive the tradition of coachmen transporting feed and goods across the mountains to Røros. As part of the opening ceremony over eighty equipages from other parts of Norway as well as from Sweden, participate in a parade, marking the arrival in Røros after travelling for up to 15 days in the old-fashioned manner with horse and sleighs.

I hope you will enjoy my images from the winter fair:




A Fjording (Fjord horse) entering "the stage".




This horse was very excited and needed a hand.



Well dressed!



Just go on!




He knows how to deal with winter!



This is one of the many outdoorcafes :-)
Warm soup or coffee most needed!










This handmade wolf fur coat would surely keep me warm!






Having fun with snow!






Evening mood in Røros

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful set of photos taken during your week away from home. All are so nice that though the sun is shining outdoors and it is not that cold, I wouldn't mind at all being taken with you to such a nice place. You look great in that long fur coat.... Thanks so very much for sharing a bit of your last week. Have a great day, Amalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belita! I thought this might interest you, as I know culture and travelling mean a lot to you. I would like to go back to Røros another year too, it was truly inspiring! Many people fear the low temperature there, but it's all about being prepared for it. On the other hand: A German tourist had been looking forward to - 30 C, and bought new boots and coats, but was very disappointed that was "only" - 14C. :-)

      Delete
  2. I want that coat! Looks so warm. I would not like all that cold. I'm a "summer" person. I would also like to see the Fjord horse in person. Only seen photos. Nice photo blog that I enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda! I know you are a summer person :-)
      Regarding all these horses, 83,I thought of you. They were all so beautiful, and so many different races. The Fjording or Fjord horse, is the only one I'm familiar with. It's a relatively small but very strong horse breed from the mountainous regions of Western Norway. It is an agile breed of light draft horse build. All Fjord horses are dun in color, with five variations in shade recognized by their breed registries. One of the world's oldest breeds, it has been used for hundreds of years as a farm horse in Norway, and in modern times is popular for its generally good temperament.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this charming little town with us.
    I can see that you did enjoyed the trip, and you look warm and happy with that fur coat on. :)

    I really like the last photo, the town has very beautiful evening light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such nice words, Sophie! I was quite excited, it was like being a part of a fairy tale. I love the golden evening light too..

      Delete
  4. Such vibrant and happy images. It is nice to see a people who are in harmony with their environment. While not an advocate of fur coats, I suppose these are very warm, and the hats are quite a fashion statement. Thanks for taking me along on this great journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People in harmony with their environment..just my thoughts as well!
      About the fur coats, yes they really keep people warm, I guess without them, it was not possible to live there, in past times. I liked it, but didn't buy any, of course.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great! I guess those people are ready for a post-oil world, and even one where the Gulf Stream fails due to Greenland melting. So important to maintain old skills. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Not sure if these people want a change at all..they love this climate and are experts when it comes to handling it.

      Delete