"Fire is needed by the newcomer
Whose knees are frozen numb;
Meat and
clean linen a man needs
Who has fared across the fells,"
That sounds pretty obvious, doesn't it?
Many of our sayings or expressions have their roots in a time with quite other challenges than we have these days. Nevertheless they are speaking of basic values, like here: Hospitality.
The verse above is from Hávamál, which is presented as a single poem in the Poetic Edda, a collection of Old Norse poems from the Viking age. The poem, itself a combination of different poems, is largely gnomic, presenting advice for living, proper conduct and wisdom. Individual verses or stanzas certainly date to as early as the 10th, or even the 9th century. And still, we quote from them!
Welcome to Picture Perfect!
on Multiply
on Multiply
on Blogger


:) Yes... obvious and you pictured that fire marvellously... that burning log in the middle is really great!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kia! I found it quite elegant :-)
DeleteBy the way, I managed to read, in French, that site you recommended regarding the short link. Now I know how to do it, so thanks!
I'm glad I could help you!
Deletehi wonderful shot and words
ReplyDeleteThank you, Heidi!
DeleteBeautiful shot of the burning log.... Thanks, Amalie,for sharing some words about that nice poem...
ReplyDeleteAlways nice to see you here on my site, Belita!
DeleteVery nice of you to explain little bit of history of these verses.
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my PP.
History or context makes thinsg so much more interesting also to myself.
DeleteAmalie a heart warming shot that captures the essence of the words and thought of this entry..and in that time basic hospitality was much more common it seems..to open your home to a traveler and allow them to warm themselves by the fire and give nourishment ...I think we need more of that
ReplyDeletegator
admin PP
Thank you! I agree, what was a natural thing to do also long time ago when people were really poor, seems to have been "forgotten". Too bad!
DeleteIt's beautiful! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Riete!
DeleteI could almost warm my hands by that fire. Wonderful capture of the glow.
ReplyDeleteYes, Ien, friends are always welcome, not just one "Who has fared across the fells" :-)
ReplyDeleteI love the expression and it's history, and what a wonderfully warming photo!!
ReplyDeleteHere is MY PP LINK
Thank you, Mitchy! Things must make sense! :-)
DeleteThanks for the link to Tim flash's work... I love it! Some pictures are really amazing! I'll go back today to have a second look...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI'm glad to hear that!
DeleteSuch warmth in words and picture, fabulous expression. Blogger still confuses me, guess I'm following you now lol
ReplyDeleteSuch a wonderful expression. Warmth and fire goes hand in hand and a funny thing, so many people I know will tell you that a good fire on a very cold night warms more than their faces and hands. It warms the heart and spirit as well.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photo and interesting history about this welcoming expression Amalie.
http://mil-oneinamillion.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/picture-perfect-expressions-aussie-slang.html
Beautiful wisdom and photography Amalie! Lovely!
ReplyDeleteA very lovely poem to go with your warm, inviting fire!
ReplyDelete